Thursday, October 3, 2013

Happy fall y'all!

My first DIY decorating project for the house :)  It required 1 wire wreath, 1 spool of burlap ribbon (which I used my 40% off coupon at Michaels) and 2 bunches of flowers that were 60% off, I think they were 1/69 each steam.  The total project cost me just under 10 bucks!  I love the way it turned out, ti's rustic and simple yet a touch elegant, I can't wait to do one for Christmas!  I'm thinking of doing some lace and burgundy poinsettias...

We also got our blinds installed this morning from HD, we went with the 2 1/2" home-decorators premium white blinds in every window, I'm glad we went one step up from the home-decorators regular blinds, the valance is much nicer and the wider slats look more rich.  I will be posting pics of that tonight!  I really haven't done anything yet with the inside of the house as far as furniture or decorating, so that's why you haven't seen any posts from me!  I did refinish our old kitchen table though, just some spray paint, it looks more acceptable now... we will be getting our morning room set in January, then next will be the island and the granite!  I'm also glad we didn't get the granite through RH, because it's WAYYYYYYY OVER PRICED omg, they sell the SAME stuff with installation at a local company, installed it's only $38 sq ft installed and a typical 10x10 kitchen is only 35 sq ft so that's only $1,330.00 for St. Cecelia, baltic brown, tan brown, uba tuba.. etc (for those in Pittsburgh, we are going to go with Quality Granite Outlet http://www.qgoutlet.com)

We are going to get a custom built Amish island put in, nice solid wood, then do matching granite to tie it into the builder grade timberlake cabinets... which btw, I almost can't wait until they get old and my husband allows me to paint them white with chalk paint!  I hate how they look so dirty all the time and the nicks and chips that happen out of nowhere!  I should have said let's spring for the white ALL WOOD ones, yes it was a few grand more, but it would have been only a few bucks more a month, and considering we are slapping on an etra $500 a month to the principal to pay it off in 17 years or less, I don't think it would have made a difference!  Anyways, hopefully by the end of January I will have some fun decorating project to do in the kitchen and morning room!



9 comments:

  1. Love the wreath! It is very nice and unique...Were you happy with the installation and service from HD for your blinds? I am not quite ready for window treatments yet, but they are on my list.

    DB

    ReplyDelete
  2. That wreath is so pretty! Where do you get the Armish island from? We live in pittsburgh area and the only Armish place I know is the one in the Robinson. We didn't get the granite upgrade as well and are planing to do quartz counter tops and butcher block island top later

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I love your blog... Off topic, or maybe on topic... I love your front door with the glass... Is that an option you can pick? Oh by the way, I feel like a blog stalker because I've probably read 60 Ryan homes blogs... And I realized I thought I knew your house... We're the ones that just bought the lot a few doors down this weekend. Bev said there were a lot of Rachael's on that street :)

    Thanks for all the insight into colors and flooring etc ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how nice! I'm glad you like my blog as I was also a blog stalked too, you will find a wealth of knowledge and tips in these things! And yes lot of Rachael's! What lot # did you buy? Looking forward to meeting you! And the door is standard with this elevation it's only available with the cottage elevations

      Delete
  4. Hi!! I love all the tips from everyone as even though you see the model it's something else to picture starting from scratch!! We're lot 225. Yes looking forward to meeting everyone. We met a few people when we were out at the lot and that was the clincher for me.. Everyone was so friendly... And hey, at least this bad at names girl ( aka me) can't mess up your name!! Thanks for the info on the door... I mentioned it to the man and he laughed that was the detail I picked up on to ask about with all the options floating around :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay! Our end of the street is filling up then! I can't wait until the lot next to us sells, it will be long time though b/c you can't build a morning room and I think only the sienna will fit on it, it's a tiny lot! Right now it's a swamp, I'm so annoyed by the water that pools, they tried fixing it already 2 times with no luck! What model are you building??

      Delete
    2. Hi! Yeah Kyles dad liked that lot next to you, but bev had told us we wouldn't fit... Swamp? Uh oh... Hopefully someone picks a house that will fit there so they have to make the swamp go away! We almost built on the corner lot at 230 as K wanted a side entry garage... But I realized what the view would be out back windows at the last second... Since they wouldn't put the house askew per se... So the view won out! :) we're building the Milan too... I know that will be a few in a row but I hey we all have different colors and siding -- ours will be partial brick. I'm about going nuts trying to decipher the last of the option-- I have no idea what I would have done without being able to blog stalk people to get ideas or the little tidbits that would help make decision... So thankful everyone is sharing ideas! :) I think it's great that the plan is filling up and excited to meet everyone... Can I ask if you have any tips on the electrical/ guardian guy as he's our next meeting... I don't want to get there and not have thought of something obvious to ask about... So strange to have to make so many big decisions ( ok maybe some might not see flooring and counters as a big one, but I do as we'll be living with them forever-- cuz after this purchase I'm tempted to throw out every credit card!! Lol)

      Delete
    3. My ipad is bring silly so that was the third time I typed that... And that time forgot to say thanks!! So happy my first impression of the neighborhood was right about people being so friendly!! Thanks!!

      Delete