Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Sub-floor suggestion and a word about a local moving company

I was on the phone with my Mom last night, talking about life, the house, and all that jazz... and she brought up a good suggestion, she said that her sub floors under her hardwood were nailed in rather than screwed in.  I've seen enough HGTV to know that nailing in sub floors under hardwood is just not a good idea, her floor squeaks so bad as well as all of her neighbors, the nails pop just like they do in the dry wall, causing squeaks!  This isn't the flooring company's responsibility too, and if you have a finished basement, it's going to be EXTREMELY hard to make any fixes to your squeaky floors unless you rip up your ceilings!

I'm going to talk to my PM this week and ask if the sub floors will be screwed in, if he says no, I will request they be screwed in, hell I would pay extra for that!

On another note, I met my neighbor directly beside me, he is a very nice guy, down to earth, built his dream home with his wife.  He asked me what moving company we were using, I said none because we have no furniture! LOL... But he said stay as far away from Two Men and a Truck as you can.  He was so distraught over the situation, and I know for my future neighbor Darla, I said that I saw them moving in and to maybe get a quote from them, but after hearing his story, I wouldn't go near them!  They put holes in his walls, ripped up trim, damaged furniture and floors and they refuse to fix it!!!  My parents used Always Moving Company and were very pleased.  So just a warning in case you are in the Pittsburgh Area and need a mover!  I know everyone's experiences can vary but I wouldn't want to take a chance at getting the same crew and get holes in my brand new walls!

On a positive note, I think we are going to go ahead and make an appointment with Ethan Allen to buy our morning room set.  Pics to follow!  Happy building everyone!

15 comments:

  1. That is crazy about the moving company, I can't believe they wouldn't pay to fix it? I'm surprised that wasn't addressed with what would happen in that situation beforehand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The company is insured I don't know why he is having problems getting them to admit fault and pay up, he said he's talking directly to the owner of the company too! I wish people just had more integrity these days... everyone is concerned with their bottom line and making a fast buck

      Delete
  2. Good point about the sub floors being screwed in. Our main level is all hardwood and I would hate it if it squeaked ! I am going to send an email to our PM. Thanks for the tip !

    http://thehomeprocess.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of mine squeak! already, but my house "hates" me...lol

      Delete
  3. We were happy to see that our sub floor was screwed. Hopefully yours will be too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great news! My parents community may have been different, I know that materials vary from community to community and even house to house depending on the crews working and the subcontractors doing the work. My parents had a lot of things that were different, such as block walls, "puffy pink" insulation in the basement (we have the foam board baked potato looking stuff lol) but it's always a good thing to ask about this kind of stuff and I'm glad my Mom brought it to my attention!

      Delete
    2. I have no idea if mine were screwed or nailed, I think screwed...huh??

      Delete
  4. Excellent reminder about the sub floors. I'll have to see if PM will get mine screwed down (like you, I'd pay for that) or if not matters might have to be taken into my own hands - especially on the main level with all of the hardwood. Squeaky floors are no good.

    Ethan Allen has some beautiful tables and chairs. Can't wait to see what you choose. I have my eye on a set for my morning room too but unfortunately it's way out of my price range. I'm waiting for a sale :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that is a shame about Two Men and a truck. Thanks for the tip and looking out for me. We decided to go with George Moving and Storage. Hopefully, all will go well, fingers crossed. No, better yet, I will say a prayer.

    Oh and I stopped by Laz-y-Boy furniture today and didn't see anything I liked. That is another off the list. I think I am going to Sheely's this Saturday.

    Congrats on finding a set for your morning room!

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachael-Thanks for the thought on the sub floors! We are just starting the process so I am making a list of items to discuss with our PM; most I am getting from all the blogs.
    My boyfriend also has a background in construction.
    Our PM is just going to love us!!!!

    For moving companies-I have used United twice now and haven't had issues. We are moving from Morgantown, so hopefully the local movers for United will be able to move us to Pittsburgh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am also worried about the moving companies I would rather have family help us that way I know I wont have to worry about them damaging my house. We keep going back and forth on it.
    Cant wait to see your furniture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exactly! Unless you have a TON of stuff, I've moved myself and my family and friends enough times to qualify to be a professional mover... lol and my parents still have a ton of packing material and boxes from their move. I have enough family and friends that already volunteered so I think I'm good! And it's way cheaper too! Just a few pizzas and some cases of beer! lol

      Delete
  8. Glad you decided on the Ethan Allen! Is it the same one as us or the other one? You can't beat the quality :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure yet, we are going to make the appointment with the sales woman and go from there. We saw a few sets there we liked, my favorite is the one you got but we would get different chairs. I think we will go with 6 all wood or wood with the upholstered seat and do 2 head chairs in a fabric, not sure but I'm excited to start designing out set!

      Delete
  9. Another good question is to ask sales person about any repeat work they do for businesses in the area. People often ask for references. Repeat work from area businesses is a solid endorsement for a moving company.

    New Jersey Movers

    ReplyDelete